Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Kick-Ass New Cover For 'Blood Guilt'


Okay, so after some deliberation I decided to shell out on commissioning a professional to design a cover for my crime thriller novel 'Blood Guilt'. Even considering the cost, it was a fairly easy decision. In a masochistic kind of way, I really enjoy spending hour after hour struggling to get to grips with the eccentricities of GIMP et al. And, even if I do say so myself, I think I’ve created some reasonably effective covers. But try as I might, I just can’t achieve the slick look that exemplifies traditionally published novels. You know the kind of look I mean. It has depth and texture. It instantly resonates with its genre. And above all, it doesn’t have the slightest whiff of a DIY job.

I’ve always admired the artwork of Stephen Leather’s books. A single glance at the simple, yet deceptively complex cover of ‘The Basement’ tells you everything you need to know about what lurks within. So I contacted his designer, Stuart Bache (you can check out more examples of his artwork at: www.stuartbache.co.uk). The guy doesn’t come cheap, and maybe I’ll never recoup the outlay. But at the moment that doesn’t concern me. What concerns me is giving myself the best chance of getting my work to the widest audience possible. And giving that audience the best product I can. I want my readers to know how much I value the money and time I’m asking them to invest in my novel. Blood Guilt’s new cover is a statement of that intent. I hope you love it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment